My 10 Personal Lessons from 2021
2021 was arguably my most difficult year personally but also my best year as an entrepreneur. With this contradictory experience came a lot of lessons. Here are 10 I find useful to note and share.
- Understand that there are very little guarantees in life. In-fact I can count only 2, Taxes and death and maybe a third, change, yes change is guaranteed. Once you understand this, it will be easy to internalize the fact that life is very unfair and it’s irrational to expect it to be fair to you. Roll with the punches and don’t take anything to heart
- Create a mindset that enables you to respond positively to change. Don’t approach change with too much fear but rather with a tinge of excitement of future prospects.
- Do good things because good things are good to do. Do it for yourself, for your conscience or your God never because you expect the good thing you do to be reciprocated
- You are resilient, back yourself
- Compounding applies to more than just money. Effort in many areas of life compound. Early days might seem slow but consistent effort in the long term provides results that doesn’t require you to work as hard over time. This is why being good by default is a great way to be. It compounds and comes back to you in unexpected ways over time
- It’s remarkable what the simple passage of time will solve, don’t make big life changing decisions hastily or based on fleeting circumstances. Never seek permanent solutions to temporary problems
- Journaling is therapy. Write things down and save your mind from persistent ruminations
- Read, books have all the answers
- People, communities and positive relationships of all types are the highest value things to invest in. Don’t be an island, invest in them
- Start with why. Once you understand your motivation, you can do anything and I mean anything that aligns with it
And a bonus one:
- If at first you don’t succeed, try again and again and again and again until you finally succeed. You only ever fail when you give up.
Here’s to a 2022 with many more lessons and growth.